The Power of Dog
Interaction with dogs has been scientifically shown to:
- Reduce heart rate and blood pressure
- Provide cardiovascular benefits
- Decrease loneliness, anxiety, stress and fear
- Ease emotional and physical pain, including chronic pain
- Provide emotional support, comfort, lift spirits and improve confidence
- Improve apathy by increasing motivation
- Increase empathy
- Foster positive relationships
- Promote social interaction
- Increase sensory stimulation and physical responses (smiling, laughing, talking)
- Improve children’s reading and comprehension skills
- Teach children empathy, responsibility, safe pet contact and unconditional love
Do you and your dog have what it takes?
- Is your dog friendly and interactive with all kinds of people?
- Is your dog calm, well-mannered and polite?
- Does your dog handle unusual situations with grace?
- Does your dog remain calm and friendly around other dogs and animals?
- Is your dog relaxed and interested when visiting people?
- Do you enjoy meeting people and spreading the love and compassion that dogs can provide?
- Do you believe in training and handling your dog using a compassionate, positive approach?
If this sounds like you and your dog, we would be happy to talk to you about joining our Healing Paws Program! Read about how to become one of our therapy dog teams.
Want to help? No Dog? No Problem!
Not every dog is willing or able to do canine-assisted interactions or you may not have a dog at all. VOLUNTEER! We still need you!
We need team leaders to mentor new volunteers, organize events, and assist with other administrative and fundraising duties.